Return to Source page
Farnborough Grammar School came into existence in September 1936 when the
Aldershot County High School outgrew its premises in Highfield Avenue and the boys were relocated to Farnborough.
The A.C.H.S. building was new in 1912 although it was then called the Aldershot Secondary School. It
was co-educational from 1912 through to 1936 and most of its male teaching staff transferred to
Farnborough, among them their Headmaster, A.E. Chapman, and his deputy, F.G. Solloway. Mr.
Solloway had been at Aldershot High since the day it opened.
The booklet written by Basil Jowett to commemorate the schools 21st anniversary covers a great deal of the history of Farnborough Grammar School and its predecessors.